Sunday, July 26, 2009

Stash Busting 2009 - Week 30


Last Monday I started a "block-a-day" quilt along hosted by Crazy Mom Quilts. Pretty simple, really. Just make a 9-patch block every day for 70 days. In about 2 1/2 months you have enough blocks to make a quilt. I have PLENTY of scraps, and I figure I can make one in about 10 minutes. And so I started Monday and so far have 7 blocks. At first I pulled colors that I am comfortable with -- a dark and a light with high contrast (see the blocks on the top left). However, when I took another look Crazy Mom's finished quilt (this is her second go around with this program), I realized that my light lights were not going to work. It's very hard for me to use prints with other prints and to use colors the might blend together, or ones that I think do not go together. So in the interest of expanding my horizons, I started pulling medium value scraps and just put them together. You can see the blocks on the bottom row are much more colorful as I loosen up! I'm having fun with these and it gets me to sew a little every day, which I like.

I didn't make a stash report last week. Somehow time got away from me. Or maybe it was because I bought fabric again! I bought 3 yards of bleached muslin for a project I have in mind and a half yard of a print for another project that's in my head waiting to be put to fabric. In the two weeks I did make three Dear Jane blocks and the 7 nine-patches, so I'm going to call that 1/2 yard out.

Fabric in this week: 3.50 yards
Fabric out this week: 0.50 yards

Fabric in this year: 26.66 yards
Fabric out this year: 17.50 yards

2 comments:

Robin said...

Those bottom 9-patches look just lovely. Good for you for taking a risk and pushing out of your comfort zone!

Lori in South Dakota said...

aren't those 9 patches a fun project? I a haven't gotten the first quilt together, but I am ready to start making the patches for the 2nd!!! And you can make the first 9 patches "pop" if you use a darker "neutral" for the sashing. I have something called "old gold" a moda marble for mine.