I chose some more fabrics to go with my Mystery Block of the Month project over at Pat Sloan's blog. I love all of the colors in the inspiration print, but I'm not sure if I like the colors together away from the print. I will press on and see what becomes of it. All fabric has come from my stash so far. I thought I might have to buy some background fabric, but I finally found a piece of white-on-white in my stash bins that was big enough for the entire project.
Above is the finished block for January. I took the picture at night again, and it looks very yellow. I'll try to grab another picture when there is daylight outside. I may also look into getting true-light light bulbs for my sewing room. I had a heck of a time trying to see if my white fabrics were all the same white when pulling fabric for this project. I had to keep stepping outside the front door into natural light to see that some fabric was actually off white. Oh well - that's a minor problem! Also, I had to take the picture on my (scorched) ironing board. My design wall is white and the design would have appeared to be floating on the board!
I simplified some of the piecing in the block. The unit that makes the star points can be made as one unit, rather than four half-square triangles or two flying geese units. I like to have as little bulk as possible, and the result really worked out for me.
Be sure to check out Judy L's blog to see what everyone else is working on today!