Monday, March 28, 2016
Design Wall Monday 03/28/16
I got two more Farm Girl Vintage blocks finished this week. Just one more to go!! Above is the Honey Bee block, which is a block pattern that I purchased separately from the book. I just love it - I think it is one of my favorite blocks in the whole quilt. The pattern had blue fabric instead of black for the bee's stripes. I decided to go with black, although I was a little concerned because I don't have black anywhere else in the quilt. I still love it and I think it will look fine. There are little antennae that I'll embroider later.
I also finally finished the strawberry block! Boy, when a block isn't going well, it ends up being difficult all the way to the end! First I had trouble finding enough reds for the block. Then I lost some pieces. Then when I was sewing it together, the rows were coming out crooked and the wrong size. It was a bear, but I think it looks great now. I took the time to un-sew a few times to get it right - otherwise it would bother me forever. It's funny because it is very similar to the pumpkin block, and that one went together like a dream. Go figure.
This week I was able to grab a picture of my entire design wall. Once I get the Farm Girl blocks sewn together with sashing and cornerstones, I still need to piece an inner border which consists of lots and lots of flying geese units. I'll worry about those when I get to them! Also on my wall are the four house blocks for the Crossroads quilt along. I'm using scraps/stash for this project and all the blocks will be made with blue fabric and the alternate/chain blocks will be in reds. The backgrounds will be scrappy as well, so I'm hoping I can get the entire quilt made from stash.
Be sure to check out Judy L's blog to see what everyone is working on today. Also linking up with Quilt Story and Let's Bee Social later this week.