Thursday, July 28, 2016

Throw Back Thursday 07/28/16

For today's TBT post I chose a wall hanging that I designed for a shop challenge back in 2008.  You can see the original post here.  We were given two fat quarters - the purple and the green floral print - to use in a quilted piece.  There were a lot of rules on size and fabric, etc., but I think I was the only one who followed them.  In the end the challenge was not a good experience for me, but I'm really happy with the piece that I made.  I really pushed myself to create a design I liked within the parameters given.  The flowers are folded fabric which I then hand appliqued onto the pieced backing. The vines were made with a 1/4" bias tape maker.  That was a challenge in itself!  It later hung in an exhibit at a local library.

It's fun revisiting these projects from the past!

Monday, July 18, 2016

Design Wall Monday 07/18/16

My sister came over to sew on Saturday, and she made the wall hanging shown above.  She had a pattern out of an old magazine, and so we raided my fabric stash and then she got right to work.  We even had time to run out to the fabric store to get the ric rac.  Very cute.  I haven't finished anything worth showing this week.  I spent my time on Saturday cutting pieces for the chain blocks in the Crossroads quilt along quilt.  There are 18 chain blocks so it will take a little time.  If I were using yardage or the kit, it would go much faster because you can strip piece the block parts, but I am using scraps, which take a lot longer to cut out.  It's not difficult, though, so once I get all of the pieces cut, I can go to town on the blocks.  I'm looking forward to having all of the blocks done.

I also got some embroidery floss so I can add the final touches to my Farm Girl Vintage quilt blocks.  I am noticing that embroidery is starting to get very popular again.  There are a lot of new patterns and sew alongs that involve embroidery.  Now that I finally have proper glasses, I can do some hand work much easier.

Hopefully next week I'll have at least one Crossroads chain block finished!

Be sure to check out Judy L's blog to see what everyone is working on today. Also linking up with Quilt Story and Let's Bee Social later this week.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Design Wall Monday 07/11/16

I'm all caught up with the Crossroads quilt along!  I had a fun day of sewing on Saturday.  I finally just decided to get to it and it was wonderful.  Now I just need to wait until Friday for the next set of instructions to come out.  I believe all of the chain blocks are next.  I'll need to switch to scrappy reds for that.  I surely did not make a dent in my stash of blues.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll piece a bunch together for the backing.  We'll see.

I've turned into a starched fabric convert.  I started starching my fabric before i start cutting.  I press it dry and then cut my pieces out.  Wow what a difference this has made.  The last two blocks above were made that way and they came out just perfect and lay very flat.  It takes more time but not so much when using scraps and working on one block at a time.  It would probably take quite a bit more time if I were working with yardage.

Be sure to check out Judy L's blog to see what everyone is working on today. Also linking up with Quilt Story and Let's Bee Social later this week.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Design Wall 07/05/16

Today is a Design Wall Tuesday (instead of Monday), as yesterday was a holiday and I didn't get around to logging into my computer.  I was sewing instead! I've been working on the Crossroads quilt along that is being run by the Fat Quarter Shop.  I have finally finished the first four months of blocks.  I have a little over a week to get the fifth month's blocks finished if I want to keep up with the sew along.  Next month will be the chain blocks, which I am going to make in scrappy reds.  I think the blocks should all come together nicely - it will be my scrappy Red, White, and Blue quilt.  I'd like to say that it is all coming from my stash, but I did recently purchase some fat eights of background prints so I would have more variety.

The other thing that I worked on over the long weekend was a fabric frame for one of my husband's co-workers.  I made one for my husband over 10 years ago and he's had it hanging up at work (a standard 4"x6" photo pops into the middle section - the center borders are actually flaps that hold in the photo).  I had almost forgotten about it, and then he asked me to make one for a co-worker's wedding shower gift.  I had him bring his home so I could study it - I really couldn't figure out how I had made it.  As a last resort, I went to my old (and very dusty) pattern box and lo & behold - I found the original pattern!  I must say my skills have greatly improved in the last 10-12 years, as the new one looks a lot nicer than the original!

Be sure to check out Judy L's blog to see what everyone is working on today. Also linking up with Quilt Story and Let's Bee Social.