Sunday, August 20, 2006

Applique Cats Block 1




Look at me, I can applique! I've always admired fine needle-turn applique. I've seen some absolutely beautiful quilts done this way. Unfortunately, I can't do it. I have tried several times over my quilting life, but I just can't get the hang of it. Now I finally found a technique that works for me. It is the process of painting a line of liquid starch along the edge of the seam allowance and ironing it over the freezer-paper template. Then with all of the edges turned under (and staying that way), it is a matter of stitching the pieces to the background. It works perfectly for me.

I fell in love with this applique block-of-the-month program on line at StoryQuilts.com called Temple Guardians. So far it's coming out great. The really neat part about their program is that each month along with the pattern and fabric, you also receive a chapter of a story about the cats. When the quilt is complete, you will also have the complete story! Above is the first block that I finished a couple of months ago.

No comments: