Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Winter 2009 Class Projects

The preview for my Winter 2009 quilting class was this past Monday night, and I had a pretty good turnout. I'm always very nervous before the preview, because it is the night that I have to do the most talking in front of everyone. Most of the other nights I do more one-on-one or small group talking and teaching. But I made it through and everyone seemed pretty excited about the projects that I'm presenting this time around.

Below is a wall hanging of the Carpenter's Wheel block that is all made with half-square triangles instead of diamonds. This one goes together very quickly. I've seen this technique before, where you take a traditional block that uses diamonds and alter it to use half-square triangles, so I got out my encyclopedia of quilt blocks (by Barbara Brackman) and looked for this type of block. I've also seen it done in a Lone Star quilt. It looks pretty big in relation to the other pictures, but it is really only about 42" square.


The fish quilt was designed by Mary Johnson and I just love it. Mary's so creative and I am always inspired when I visit her blog. I haven't quilted it yet, but I have a lot of ideas for quilting and embellishing. I even busted some stash with the fabric for the fish! I bought the blue background fabric because it was just perfect with little circles and dots that look like bubbles.

Last I have a quilt that my mom made that I adore. It is such a simple quilt, but really wonderful. Now this is a stash buster for sure. I am using hers as a sample for class, but I plan to make one of my own in short order. A friend of hers did some really lovely quilting on with her DSM that really enhanced it.

There is no class next week, as the building in which I teach is closed for the holiday, so the first class of the nine-week session will be held on Monday, January 26, 2009 (6:00 pm - 9:00 pm) at the Veterans Memorial Building in Redwood City, CA. If you are local and are interested, just drop in to the first class to enroll. See you there!

No comments: