Monday, July 29, 2013

Design Wall Monday 07/29/13

I finished the Mystery Mondays block for the week.  It is another pumpkin block, but in a bigger scale.  I can't wait to see what next week's block with be.

Here are my two blocks together.  Other than the pumpkin, and finishing the quilt top I posted yesterday, I didn't do much sewing this week.  I did choose fabrics for a pillow I'm about to make.  Haven't cut into them yet, though.  They are calling to me, so I'll probably have part, if not all, of it finished by next Monday.

And here are my sister's blocks.  So far we are both on track!

Be sure to check out Judy L's blog to see what everyone else is working on today!

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Stash Busting 2013 - Week 30

This past week I finished putting the top together that I've been working on.  I have a hard time taking pictures of my bigger projects, so today I decided to take a cue from some of the other bloggers and took it outside pinned to my fence.  It worked out perfectly.  I took the picture from a few different angles, but in all it took less than 10 minutes.  I had to wait for the sun to move away from that part of the fence.  I think the colors are fairly true - they are maybe a little warmer in real life.

I'm approximating the yardage on this one.  I think it took about 4 yards total.  I used 2 charm packs along with yardage, so this is an estimate.

Fabric used this week: 4.00 yards
Fabric added this week: 0.50 yards

Fabric used this year: 11.50 yards
Fabric added this year: 20.25 yards

Be sure to check out Judy's blog to see how everyone else is doing with their stashes!

Monday, July 22, 2013

Design Wall Monday 07/22/13

After a bit of a dry spell, I did a bunch of sewing this weekend.  Above is the project that I've been working on recently.  I got a little road-blocked when I decided it needed an extra row.  I had used up my charm packs, and so I had to pull fabrics from my stash that were similar in color to the charm packs I used.  Sometimes too many choices make it harder to choose.  Above are all of the blocks laid out.  After I took the picture, I sewed them all together and put on the first narrow border of solid red.  At the last minute, I decided to wash my final border fabric, so I called it quits for the day on that project.  I wanted to finish the top, but I'm pretty pleased with how far I got.

Next I worked on the new Mystery Mondays project.  This week was the first "clue", which was a pumpkin block.  My sister is also going to do this project, and I didn't want to fall behind on the first week!  Below is my sister's block:

Be sure to check out Judy L's blog to see what everyone is working on today!

Monday, July 01, 2013

Design Wall Monday 07/01/13

So I've been working a few more of these blocks.  They are called Window Pane Disappearing Nine Patch (D9P) blocks.  First you start with making a nine-patch block with sashing strips to look like a tic-tac-toe block.  I used charm pack squares (5" squares) and 1 1/2" cut sashing strips (1" finished).

Next you cut the block in half horizontally and vertically.

Then you twist and turn the quarters to make a new block.  It looks like you did a lot of piecing, but it was actually very easy.  I've used up one charm pack already, which makes 4 blocks (16 quarters).  I have another pack of the same fabric to make more blocks.  Then I'll put them together to make a small quilt.

You can go here to see the video tutorial for this pattern.

This is what is on my Design Wall today.  Go to Judy L's blog to see what everyone else is working on today!