Monday, February 01, 2016

Design Wall Monday 02/01/16


I can't believe it is February already!  Where did January go??  At least I have started sewing again.  I had some things I had to get out of the way, and now I can do some fun sewing again.  Above is the latest block for the Farm Girl Vintage quilt.  This was an additional pattern that Lori Holt put out that works with the patterns in the book.  It's sure a cute little 6" block!  I still need to embroider the tail.  I'm going to do all the embroidery at the same time.  I only have a few blocks left before I can start sewing the quilt together.


The other thing I worked on this week was a Pixelated Heart quilt.  I've been wanting to make one of these for several years now.  I was originally going to make it all in pinks and reds, but I liked the multi-colored ones that I've seen online.  I had a jelly roll of rainbow solids sitting on my shelf for a long time, and when my husband pointed to it as a possible color scheme, I knew I had to do it.  I did use more pink/red squares than the other colors, and I pulled out the really bright colors that were distracting.  I also decided to put in just a few prints to make it interesting.  A couple of them read as solid, so you probably can't see them from this picture.  What is most noticeable is a hand dyed homespun plaid that I've had in my stash forever.  I put about six squares of that fabric in there and it adds a lot of interest.  I also opted not to piece the background out of all squares.  I really like how that looks when the background is scrappy, but for this one I knew i was going to use all solid white for the background.  It went a lot faster this way.  Once it is layered with a white batting, the seams will hardly be noticeable.  I may trim the white back a bit, but I'll decide for sure later.  It was getting dark when I took this picture - it is lighter and more vibrant in daylight.

Be sure to check out Judy L's blog to see what everyone is working on today. Also linking up with Let's Bee Social on Wednesday and Quilt Story on Tuesday.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Love your pink piggy, he/she is certainly handsome/cute. The pixelated heart is colorful and fun. Very fun projects going on in your sewing space.

Jean Belle said...

Very cute!