Monday, March 07, 2016

Dreaming of quilts...

I haven't done much sewing lately.  I've been in a quilting slump. Not sure if it is the weather or because I've been feeling tired - probably my body trying to fend off another illness.  But I do continue to cruise my favorite quilt blogs (my list of favorites grows longer daily it seems).  And I dream of joining in with all of the sew alongs I see on various websites.  They all look like so much fun, and I really enjoyed sewing along with the Farm Girl Vintage quilt last year.  But when I get home from work I just don't feel like sewing, and the weekends aren't much better.  However, I thought I'd make a list of all of the current sew alongs I've been keeping my eyes on.  I have no affiliation with any of these sites, just projects I've found around the internet that I've been thinking about making.





The Splendid Sampler.  Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson are releasing two blocks a week for a total of a whopping 100 blocks.  They and various quilters designed the blocks specially for this project.  When all of the blocks are finally released, they will also release a book of all blocks.  The blocks are free to download on the website and I'm loving what I'm seeing so far.





The 365 Challenge - The Ultimate Sampler.  A block a day for 365 days to make an incredible sampler quilt.  This one is right up my alley, but would be very challenging.  Most of those blocks are 3" square finished.  Whoo boy!  It is free, and if you sign up, you will get the block diagrams sent directly to your e-mail daily.






The 2016 Crossroads Quilt Along.  This is hosted by The Fat Quarter Shop, designed by Joanna Figueroa.  Each year the FQS has a quilt along to raise money for charities.  The patterns are free, but they ask that you donate to the chosen charity (this year is the March of Dimes).


Circa 2016.  Temecula Quilt Company is hosting another mystery quilt along with small blocks.  There are not many of each block so I feel like I could still get in on this one.  I followed along with their 12 Days of Christmas mini this past December and loved how it turned out (I added a few blocks).

Moda Sampler Shuffle.  The Fat Quarter Shop also hosted the Moda Sampler Shuffle recently.  I believe all the block patterns have been released, but it looks like you can still download the patterns.

Craftsy 2016 Block of the Month Quilt.  This is a free class on the Craftsy website.  You will need a login to access.  They also have a deeply discounted kit for this quilt, but you don't need to purchase that to see the lessons.





That Quilt blog.  Anina of That Quilt blog and Twiddletales blog is making another Jane Stickle quilt.  She already has a step by step tutorial for each block and has a BOM program through her shop.  I looked back through my blog and it looks like I haven't made a block for this quilt since 2013, so this would be a good time to get back into it and make them along with her.  I started a block about a week ago, but I still haven't finished it yet.

My sister and I are also making a row quilt by Amanda Jean Nyberg that is a Craftsy class, but I only have one row finished on that one.  I did get out my colored pencils this weekend and I marked up where I want the colors in the quilt, so I feel like I have no roadblocks on that one anymore.

I have so many options of projects to work on, and yet I don't seem to be working on anything.  Truth be told, I did make two house blocks last week for the Crossroads quilt, but I'm being realistic that I probably won't finish the quilt. Of course, maybe that's the trick - if I am sure I won't finish it, then that will be the one that I finish!  We'll see.

Excuse me while I go dream about some quilts...

No comments: