Monday, August 03, 2009

Stash Busting 2009 - Week 31

I know I'm starting to sound like an advertisement, and I swear I have no affiliation with the website, but Sew, Mama, Sew! has started their month of hand sewing this month. I'm looking forward to it. They will have tutorials and pictures of various hand-sewing projects all month long.

I didn't get much sewing done other than my block-a-day nine patches this week. My new sewing machine was not sounding well as I made these blocks, so I decided to drop it off for servicing. I know it has only been six months, but I didn't like the rough sound (like something was out of alignment) and I certainly did not want to make it worse. So on Saturday we brought it in to Eddie's Quilting Bee (where I got my machine) and it was pretty busy in there. Drew told me that they were a little backed up on machine servicing, but he would take a quick look at it on the spot to see if it was something simple. I'm so glad he did because we set it up and wouldn't you know it -- it sounded just fine. Fortunately my husband was there to corroborate my claim, otherwise I would have felt very silly. So I went ahead and brought it back home, and told them I'd bring it back if it sounded off again. I haven't had a chance to sew on that machine since then (yes, I'm a day behind on my nine-patches), so we'll see how it goes.

Yesterday I had a sewing day with my sister and mom. We worked on a project that my sister and I had been wanting to make for (literally) years! Tiny tulips with a pretty floral border wall quilt. We all brought tons of fabric to share, and ended up only using the tiniest of pieces for the project, so nothing of any size to count out of my stash. However, when I was pulling fabrics I came across a lot of pieces that were very old and I knew I would never use them, so I washed and ironed them and donated them to a charity that makes clothes and quilts for those in need. It felt great to bust some stash and donate to a good cause. I'll have to do some more rooting around in my bins and get rid of more fabric that I know I'll never use. The oldest piece said 1982 on the selvege!!! And now I get to count 7.5 yards out of my stash!

Fabric in this week: 0.00 yards
Fabric out this week: 7.50 yards

Fabric in this year: 26.66 yards
Fabric out this year: 25.00 yards

No comments: